Vets had to perform emergency surgery on a pup after it ate 80 STONES.
The seven-year-old Jack Russell terrier wolfed down dozens of gravel chips while playing in the garden.
Worried owner Tracy McCaul took her dog Star to the vet after she could barely move and refused food and water.
Star had to undergo emergency surgery at a pet hospital in Blackpool.
Staff at the PDSA hospital could feel a “crunchy material” in Star’s stomach and shocking X-ray images confirmed that Star’s stomach was filled with stones.
Tracy, from Fleetwood, said: “I was very shocked when PDSA told me she had swallowed so many stones, I just didn’t think it was possible.
“Star was kept at the PetAid hospital for several days and I was really worried about her.”
Jennifer Jackson, PDSA senior vet, said: “Star’s condition was very worrying – she could hardly stand and was extremely dehydrated.
“On close examination, we could feel something in Star’s stomach but when we saw the x-rays we couldn’t believe how many stones she had swallowed.”
But the situation could have easily turned perilous for the poorly pooch.
“It really was touch and go whether Star would survive,” said Jackson.
“The quantity of sharp stones passing through her intestines was damaging them and given the possibility of them piercing her intestines, there was a danger of her developing potentially fatal peritonitis.
“We had to carry out emergency surgery to remove the stones and thankfully she has gone on to make a full recovery. ”
Tracy, who also owns another dog called Mitzie, said: “I’m so grateful to PDSA for the care and treatment they gave Star. Without them I don’t think she’d still be alive.”
She has since removed all gravel from her garden to prevent any similar stony snacking incidents in the future.