The Memorial Day America Will Never Celebrate

By Jay Kirell

Memorial Day 2014.

Another year, another start to the summer vacation season where America takes a day off to remember those who died in war.

Flags will be flown.  Words will be spoken.  The dead will be honored.

Being one of the many who served overseas that didn’t die in war, (but came reeeeally close) I have a unique view of death and how we, as a nation honor it.

Certainly, those who gave their life for their country – whether it was back in the Civil War or this year Afghanistan – should be honored.  It doesn’t matter if they were conscripted, drafted, volunteered or were forced into service as a last chance – if they died in a war their country joined or started – their nation should remember them. Its citizens shouldn’t forget the true meaning of sacrifice.

Ultimately we are all beneficiaries of their sacrifice, as history has shown, spilled blood builds nations.

America became a great power by spilling a lot of blood in foreign lands; our own and much more of our enemies.  We choose Memorial Day to honor the blood of our own.

So why is it we have no day to honor the blood of our own spilled right here at home?

As if by clockwork, another incident of mass violence occurred in America recently.  An incident where multiple Americans were shot and killed, hunted down like animals, by an individual with a complex issues and easy access to firearms.

The dead from this incident will be buried in the next few days.  The families will mourn.   Our nation’s leaders will call it a tragedy.

And then…nothing.

Because America only seems to understand the urgency of mass casualties when it is committed by non-Americans.  Someone comes into our house and hurts us, we spare no expense and leave no stone unturned in our quest for justice.  America will travel to the ends of the Earth to seek out those who would do us harm.

A little more than 6,700 Americans have died fighting overseas in response to the 911 attacks, more than twice the number of civilians who were killed in the attacks themselves.

Obviously, America takes killing its citizens very seriously.

Except…if an American is doing it apparently.

Because in the same time span that 6000+ American service-members were killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (2001-2011) over 130,000 Americans were killed by guns here at home and another 180,000 Americans used a gun to take their own life.

Yet there is no Memorial Day for them.

No day where America pauses to remember those who gave their life…maybe not for their country…but certainly their country’s right to keep and bear arms with hardly any restrictions.

Any nation that honors the few who die in war while ignoring the many who die at home is a nation with misplaced priorities.

Those who died violently over there did it so their families and friends wouldn’t die violently over here.

Yet they’re dying here violently anyway.

So this Memorial Day, remember the brave men and women who gave their life for their country in some foreign place, and pray our nation one day remembers there are brave men and women giving their life for something a lot less important here at home.

, , , , , ,

64 Comments on “The Memorial Day America Will Never Celebrate”

1. allthoughtswork
    May 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm #

That grill is terrifying. And such a nice analogy.

The people who manufacture guns are fed by them, the people who use them to explode wildlife for fun are fed by them, the people who see them as a helpmate in expressing their outrage over rush hour traffic/abortion doctors/mean girls at school are fed by them, the people who serve in the military aren’t given much of a choice (although it was there in the fine print), many people who are afraid of strangers feed their own fears with them (and then use them to scare those strangers away), many people who feel powerless, are angry, are frightened, are experiencing a spiritual or mid-life crisis, or are just plain looking for a quick fix for their inferiority complex are fed by them.

They are all delighted to eat at the gun grill…as long as the business end of their feast is pointed the other way.

Liked by 1 person

2. Kelly
    May 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

Very well said. We overlook unglorified tragedies every day.

3. roxpittafoxx
    May 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

Very powerful, well said and oh so true…

Liked by 1 person

4. roxpittafoxx
    May 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

Reblogged this on Fresh Air & Sunshine.

5. Relatable XO
    May 25, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

I don’t quite know how to respond to this. I see your point and this is well written… I just see a problem in that even if the laws yes, prohibit people to have guns, the law doesn’t tell them to shoot people or shoot themselves. And it would be quite hard to have a day for when every single person died.

I forget the exact story, but way back when a mormon man held up his entire house and killed everyone, that received national news!

I see your point and definitely feel that death is somewhat of a common thing now (although it shouldn’t be).

6. lovepeacefaith15
    May 25, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Reblogged this on lovepeacefaith15.

7. bernasvibe
    May 25, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

@…”Any nation that honors the few who die in war while ignoring the many who die at home is a nation with misplaced priorities”…

You’ve said more than a mouthful! Misplaced priorities is an understatement..I could go on and on about that topic..So I won’t even start..Especially on a weekend reserved for giving thanks, rightfully, to our Vets..Another topic, for another time..I humbly thank YOU for your serving for all of US..A Vet myself(brief term in..) I can’t hardly compare my very laid back term(in a very laid back Stateside Finance Unit) to the terms friends, family, and you have served in War Zones..I thank you for sharing your thoughts on this blog..2 thumbs UP

Liked by 1 person

8. jmchri13
    May 25, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

Or, more often, our nations lawmakers will call it a tragedy and follow up with a, “But, now is not the time to debate bans and laws that may have prevented this tragedy, now is the time to mourn.” That way, they can tactfully side-step remedying what has become the perennial atrocity of American society.

9. Lisa Brown
    May 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Reblogged this on Mindful Musings at Midlife and commented:
    Indeed…..

10. bumblepuppies
    May 25, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

I can’t agree with this even though it is a good conversation starter.

First of all, “brave” isn’t an appropriate term to describe shooting victims inside the U.S. Sorry to sound crass, but a lot of them literally didn’t see it coming. If we’re memorializing bravery instead of tragedy, gun victims don’t fit.

Second, it’s hard to say that they died to protect the right to bear arms. That’s an interpretation after the fact and they had no intention of providing such protection. There is no “conscientious objector” status that will prevent you from getting shot by a madman at a mall. Unlike most war dead, gun victims made no choice to put themselves in the line of fire.

Third, the U.S. does take U.S. killers seriously when it’s a large enough number. See McVeigh, Unabomber, etc. Even the Atlanta Olympic bombing registered a reaction. In other words, I think you’re exaggerating a little with your claims.

Nevertheless, we do need to address the gun violence problem.

Liked by 2 people

11. georgeidh1996
    May 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

A good friend of mine in the 6th grade was shot dead in his own neighborhood. Indeed for him, and others like him, there is no day to honor them. This Memorial Day, however, remember them I shall.

12. georgeidh1996
    May 25, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

Reblogged this on State of affairs, worldly musings, and other such things and commented:
    Veterans aren’t the only brave Americans we’ve got

13. anolivedaily
    May 25, 2014 at 6:16 pm #

I had to pause and reflect a bit after reading this. Like many people, my first instinct is to defend the people who have died overseas and condemn anyone who tries to make Memorial Day about anything other than them. But you wrote a thought-provoking piece that made me think. Of course, you aren’t saying our soldiers don’t deserve this day, but rather calling attention to another issue. I agree this is something that should be addressed and these people should be honored.

14. awax1217
    May 25, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

We continually bury the dead and yet preventative medicine is almost is never tried. We are afraid to label the ranting of the crazies until it is to late. The boy from the last killing was on facebook telling what he planned to do and no one stopped him.

15. Beth Veltrop, RN, BSN
    May 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

One of my friends from back in high school was shot in the head at his job while shielding his female coworker during a robbery. He died to save her. He survived a brain tumor in 2008 to die from a bullet! My friend Kelly had this beautiful quote to say, “I am exhausted by gun violence in America.” I have to agree. I have a short temper. I shouldn’t ever have a gun. I don’t hunt. I don’t need a gun. I have a daughter 14 in my home. I don’t want a gun in my home. My 23 year old son and I got into a fight on his birthday because he wanted to buy a gun. I told him to move out if he did. It’s a long story why he is back home. He has an almost 3 year old child. There will be no gun in my home. My son has a short fuse, he’s an alcoholic, depression runs in my family, my uncle shot and killed himself, my son has been hospitalized as a juvenile for suicidal ideation and arrested for having a weed pipe at school. He recently got a DUI. There is no way in hell my son should have a drivers license much less a gun. If you live up in the wilds of Alaska and Canada and you have a subsistence lifestyle, you might need a gun. The rest of us have the right to bear arms but that doesn’t mean you or anyone else NEED a gun!

Liked by 2 people

16. palancainnovations
    May 25, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

That’s one good looking BBQ!

17. cerabellum
    May 25, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

As someone who disagrees 100% with both the reasons and strategy behind the two recent wars; I 100% agree with your eloquent take on gun violence. It is alien to me how any country could function with such a pervasive and widespread problem that could easily be corrected. Guns do seem to be a massive problem in the US.

I guess it makes people sad and angry… But then the problem is so common, so widespread it is almost normalised.

Liked by 1 person

18. jmpod
    May 25, 2014 at 11:55 pm #

Thank you for casting the problem in such an interesting and thoughtful way. Perhaps it will make others pause in their patriotic fervor.

19. neillbarry
    May 26, 2014 at 12:37 am #

Great Article. It frames the problem in a ghastly way. What will happen? Nothing. The business of weapons in the US controls the Government. I sincerely hope I am wrong about that. Thank you for your service.

Liked by 1 person

20. itscarly
    May 26, 2014 at 12:37 am #

Reblogged this on Womanism. .

21. sailordale
    May 26, 2014 at 12:44 am #

A very interesting and thought provoking piece! It is very sad that so many people are killed in needless events. But, to just blame the guns will never properly address the real issue involved.
    Blaming guns is taking the easy way out, because they are an inanimate objects that do nothing unless someone picks one up and uses it in an improper manner.
    The real issues are many and complex. First and foremost, we must address the PEOPLE that use guns/bats/knives/clubs or whatever weapon is available. The hardest question is WHY did a person goes off the deep end & goes on a killing rampage! We tend to ignore that, and not do anything until someone goes nuts on us. The first issue we MUST address is the glorification of violence in society now, be it TV, movies, video games, abortion, or anything else.We NEED to stop that, because it DOES have an effect on people, whether we want to admit it or not!
    Look at abortion- I know that will get some howls of protest, but it is still cold blooded murder of an innocent human being! We have proven facts that show life begins at conception. You might disagree, but you are WRONG!!! We are taught that if we get a girl pregnant, and it is inconvenient to keep the baby, no problem, just kill it! Society has no value on life, we first get that from this lie we teach in school called evolution! Kids are taught that we are just a “random, cosmic accident, with no reason or purpose / meaning. They also lack any respect for the Law and authority today. So then why do you get so upset when a kid acts out on what he is taught (brainwashed) all his life? Life has no meaning, right evolutionists? You got the 10 Commandments removed from schools, using the LIE of “separation of church and state”, because if the kids read them they just might follow them…..
    And we (wrongfully think) are so “intelligent” that we do not need God anymore, so let’s remove all traces of God from the public square, or anywhere else…You might think that I am just a religious wacko, but before you dismiss everything I said I challenge you to THINK about it, because it is true, and it makes a LOT of sense! Another people issue that is a hard one to address is the mental health issue. The ACLU, in their ignorant stupidity has made it so hard to diagnose & treat the issue, in their misguided case for the “rights” of the mentally ill people, that they can now roam the streets unaided, because we can’t offend them, or even say they are mentally ill, we must use some soft, flowery euphemism to hide the sickness, so they won’t be embarrassed by society. I could go on & on, but this post is long beyond the attention span of most of society today as it is! That reminds me of another problem that NEEDS to be addressed, but won’t be, because it is easier to blame guns…The way society is now so much in the short attention span mode, everyone is taught INSTANT GRATIFICATION, that we no longer have the patience or desire to work and save to achieve anything, we have to have it NOW!!! Remember being in a McDonald’s or some other place, and they say we will have to wait 2 minutes for the food to cook??? Really, 2 minutes, and we get all huffy about it?? When a society no longer has the patience to wait for anything, that IS a contributing factor that needs to be addressed!
    And finally, back to the guns issue…You like to blame guns, because they are being wrongfully used to kill so many people, but that is just a Progressive/Socialist “feel good” solution that will accomplish the opposite effect they are trying to accomplish. It never gets any mention that more than triple the amount of people that are SAVED from a violent crime by the presence of guns than are killed in a crime. The justice system is way too lenient on criminals that use guns in a crime, no thanks to the ACLU again, and other misfit, evil organizations like them that give the criminals more rights than the crime victims!!! When someone is guilty, and we all know it, like the shooters today, why does it take so long to punish them? Kids have no respect for their parents or elders, or the law now, since we have eliminated any consequences for misbehavior, we can’t spank them, or anything else that might hurt their “self-esteem”, so they run wild, with no fear of anything or anyone!!! Again, that is from removing GOD from the public square, the kids don’t fear GOD and do not care that they (AS WE ALL WILL) will stand before God one day, and give an account of our lives…I know, it’s that GOD thing again, that we are so far foolishly above anything to do with Him!!!
    And if you STILL want to blame the guns, well far more people are killed by doctors and Big Medicine every year than are killed by guns!!! Also more are killed by drunk drivers.
    Where is your outrage over those issues that each kill double the number every year that guns do??? So, if you have read all of this, thank you, and I hope you really THINK about it before you dismiss me, and what I have said! Going after the guns will do NOTHING!!!

Liked by 4 people

22. puppet002
    May 26, 2014 at 2:39 am #

Taps……I honor any American who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you. . .
    …MIA, you will never be forgotten!

23. Yuanne
    May 26, 2014 at 2:55 am #

Reblogged this on Yuanne Dynasty.

24. RedBunny
    May 26, 2014 at 3:34 am #

Reblogged this on Swän Vouloêx Countaché and commented:
    ,… in the same time span that 6000+ American service-members were killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (2001-2011) over 130,000 Americans were killed by guns here at home and another180,000 Americans used a gun to take their own life.

The above is probably one of the few things that I believe most Americans go through, weather it be bullying in high school, a mid life nervous breakdown or a senior citizen going through the loss of a love off a lifetime.

-Silence

25. elizabethweaver
    May 26, 2014 at 3:53 am #

Thank you for this post. Hopefully your words with shift some of the people who cry, “Constitutional Right!” for weapons and situations that couldn’t have been foreseen by our forefathers who, in all likelihood, never intended the Second Amendment to be manipulated in defense of gun manufacturers/dealers rather than protecting individual and societal integrity and rights.

26. couplesconsult
    May 26, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Reblogged this on couplesconsult.

27. fogwalker2014
    May 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Yes, let us look at the real issues involved here. These inanimate objects (guns) are not the problem. It is the people who pick up these inanimate objects and use them to maim and kill who are the problems. Who can explain to me how inanimate objects by their own power and in and of themselves are capable to cause harm and death to others? Of course that is impossible isn’t it?

sailordale succinctly enumerates the real causes for demise of societal restraint and responsible ownership of guns – the overall dismissal of reverence and adherence to God and Christian principles. Period. Having replaced guidance from God and the holy Scriptures men now depend only on themselves with these disastrous results.

28. ianamidon
    May 26, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Reblogged this on Small Town Famous.

29. elizabethweaver
    May 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Reblogged this on Elizabeth Weaver and commented:
    Great post by Jay Kirell, combat vet and former reporter.

30. J.E.
    May 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

I am surprised that you – as a former serviceman – have so little understanding of the issue on which you speak.

While these deaths are tragic, you ignore (or worse, purposefully omit) key facts.

First, the number of gun deaths you cite includes those killed in criminal acts. By definition criminals do not follow the law. Therefore, more stringent restrictions would not have stopped these crimes.

Second, those intent on bodily harm – whether to themselves or to others – will find a way to do so. As evidence, simply look at the recent knife attacks. Would you propose banning them as well?

Third, removing guns will not solve America’s problems. Gun crime may go down, but other types of violent crime will increase. Prime example: Europe (with a few exceptions). Removing guns will also fail to fix America’s mental health system, and if we’re being honest, both sides of the gun control debate would admit that this is the real problem.

Finally, even the briefest analysis would show that your argument – as you present it – is invalid. From your cover image to your equation of gun “victims” to military deaths, your entire piece is an appeal to the emotions, a classic propaganda technique dating all the way back to Aristotle.

Even though you would strip me of the very right you fought to defend, I thank you for your service and congratulate you on being Freshly Pressed.

Liked by 2 people

31. whenlifeisgood
    May 26, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

Thought provoking article. Too much hate¨, and not enough love on this planet. The world is in chaos. I do not own a gun. I do not need a gun.

32. Baghdad Invest
    May 26, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

You pose an interesting point. 🙂 On this day we must pay our respects regardless of the rights or wrongs of going to war. RIP.

33. Mel
    May 26, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

As my old father used to repeat (a vet from WW2) ‘wars will never end because wars make money’. When I looked into that eventually I see he was right. Certain families funding both sides; fomenting wars to make money. It is the tool of the rich & powerful & angers me that young people who go trustingly to defend their countries, as did my father, are just cannon fodder for these low life scum sadly.

34. ocjarman1
    May 26, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Very well written & congrats on being Freshly Pressed! As with most of those who commented, I agree that guns alone don’t kill–the person who pulls the trigger is the one kills, whether that person is on the battlefield or on an American street.
    I don’t know the answer, but for ME, I chose not to own a gun, though I do know how to use one.

35. legendarypurple
    May 26, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

Reblogged this on Computer Blue.

36. MusingsOfAQuirkyOldSoul
    May 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm #

Reblogged this on musings of a quirky old soul.

37. amichelle94
    May 27, 2014 at 12:45 am #

thank you so much for saying this!

38. veeztazz
    May 27, 2014 at 2:34 am #

Reblogged this on veeztazz's Blog.

39. castlewings12
    May 27, 2014 at 2:35 am #

This is so true, people die here at home everyday, they die horrible, horrific deaths, yet they are never remembered. We, still living never take the time to remember them, and continue to show our support to their families. It’s a one and done deal, and there should be a day, more than day for our soldiers and our precious lost ones here at home.

40. mukhamani
    May 27, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Thanks for sharing.

41. literalnut
    May 27, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

This is amazing and perfectly said.

42. W E Patterson
    May 27, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

Thank you for a most thought provoking post. And thank you for pointing out the 180,000 people who have used a firearm to kill themselves. That is a figure that is sometimes overlooked. In my opinion, I don’t think there will ever be anything more than just some lip service paid toward gun control in the US. We may tighten up a law here and there, limit the number of rounds in certain clips, or restrict a few types of weapons, but in the long run the manufacturers and the gun lobby will win out. About all the average citizen can do is hope that he/she has already left the mall / theatre / convenience store /classroom, or their own driveway, ten minutes before the next deranged maniac shows up waving a firearm and looking to exact some kind of faux justice on innocent people.

43. Unsolicited Advice
    May 27, 2014 at 10:14 pm #

Ah, but memorializing their loss would suggest we gained something from it. A better way of life. A greater understanding. Alas it seems that too few have.

A beautiful notion and one I will have to adopt.

Thank you for your service and words of wisdom

44. abdllatifachouri
    May 27, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

😉

45. thiskobblecreeklife
    May 28, 2014 at 12:01 am #

I used to feel sorrow when I heard of ANOTHER mass shooting in America, but they’ve become so common and the calls for gun-control are ignored or vehemently resisted by gun-lovers, that I now feel nothing when I hear about another shooting. I can only think of two mass shootings that have occurred in Australia during my lifetime. Hoddle Street in Melbourne and the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania. After Port Arthur, our Prime Minister tightened gun laws and instated an amnesty for gun owners to hand in their guns. We’ve not had a mass shooting since, and that was 18 years ago. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people? Yeah. With guns.

46. beverlydame
    May 28, 2014 at 8:52 am #

This is great. I’m going to share this with the world.

47. Michael
    May 28, 2014 at 9:48 am #

The day America constitutionally proscribes the acquisition of firearms by its ordinary citizens will surely become a national memorial day. Those who contend that disarming the public is conducive to authoritarian rule should realise that peaceful protest for social justice yields better outcomes than insurrection.

48. annkelley14
    May 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

It is normal here in America, USA, to speak your opinion and kill! Only in America can you get away with both and be admired by followers. If Life was precious enough to start a new country shouldn’t it be precious now. Seems killing and America share a history!

Liked by 1 person

49. annkelley14
    May 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Reblogged this on Ann'sRazzJazz.

50. candylew
    May 28, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

Interesting perspective, especially from a veteran. Thanks for sharing.

51. emidiofilho
    May 28, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

Demais

52. akismet-d5c3c95a5fd499080e53312fe2508bcc
    May 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Reblogged this on Pinnacle.

53. AGR NEWS
    May 29, 2014 at 8:40 am #

Reblogged this on AGR NEWS.

54. quintilluspollux
    May 29, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

http://quintilluspollux.wordpress.com/ you are gonna like this, and feel totally related!

55. fogwalker2014
    May 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm #

That day when the American government proscribes the acquisition of firearms will begin the insurrection! The bureaucrats now running things are trying to disarm Americans just like the Nazi and Communists did before they took over. Peaceful protests affecting social change? Not as long as they can continue to operate with the impunity they do and the complacency of the masses.

56. fogwalker2014
    May 29, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

Who would “admire” killing other Americans?
    America was founded on the principles of freedom, not the preciousness of life. There were many principles which thrust early America to declare our Independence. Unfortunately, many of those principles have been replaced with Socialist Humanism. These new values are not able to govern citizens to be moral human beings. Period.

57. woadwellness
    May 30, 2014 at 7:05 am #

I agree with the remberence of those that have passed, but a mental illness and sociel responsability problem can not be blamed or fixed by an inanimate object. It takes a lot of care and trouble of each member of a society to make it function efficiently.. Instead of trying to lgislate away ones responsibility, take some time to talk to people, even a stranger on a bus. If they have issues,help where you can, or reffer them to where then can get help. Sometimes a simple hello can change a persons mental and emotional state for the better. Have the courage to get involved, be patient and polite and you can make a difference!

58. woadwellness
    May 30, 2014 at 7:05 am #

59. appslotus
    May 31, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Reblogged this on Apps Lotus's Blog.

60. Two Kids Plus Dad
    May 31, 2014 at 11:27 pm #

It is sad that this holiday is treated like national BBQ day and not what it was truly created for. These are the days that made our country what it is and it is not treated as on of the most important holidays out there. Hopefully one day this will all change and we will be able to let the country in whole know what this is all about.

61. gloire25
    June 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

Reblogged this on littlexpert.

62. yekamalay
    June 6, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Good

63. theebloominidiot
    June 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm #

Why don’t we outlaw alcohol….. Approximately 10, 000 – 15,000 die in DUI crashes every year….. That tops your gun deaths.

64. kameronwills
    July 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

i what this can i have it bless